Veelas are humanoid creatures who are known for their beauty and seductiveness.
Full blooded Veela are not allowed.
- They do have some form of control over fire, however it is limited. The maximum that Veelas can do is to shoot a ball of it from their hands. It is only their hands that can generate fire. They can only generate fire for ten seconds, at most.
- Veelas have some form of control over storms but it is rather limited. Most Veelas are able to increase and decrease the intensity of a storm but some are also able to tell when a storm is going to occur. They are more comfortable and at ease when a storm is occurring with their other powers being heightened during it.
- Veelas are incredible healers and can heal wounds with a simple touch. The bigger the wound, the more energy it drains. A Veelas ability to heal diminishes with each generation. However, non full veelas have a subconscious knowledge on non magical healing techniques. For example, a wizard with a ¼ Veela blood would know how to mend a broken wrist (such as how to build a splint) subconsciously . Furthermore, they find themselves able to learn healing magic easier than your average wizard/witch.
- Veelas have the ability to make people stiff and they can move only with high difficulty. This is done through using the Veela screeching, emitting a terrible noise that sounds like a mixture of pipes and drums. This is often done only when the Veela feels under threat.
- Veelas have the ability transform into harpy-like creatures. For non full blooded Veelas, their features sharpen and are able to produce small wings with talons (though are unable to be used for flight). Their skin also tends to turn into scales, though it's dependant on the Veela on how much of their skin is now scales.This usually occurs when upset or under threat.
- They can cause their skin to be incredibly slippery and cause anyone to find it extremely difficult to hold onto them.
- Veelas are incredibly attractive to the opposite gender as well as the same gender. However, for the latter, only those who are attracted to the same gender themselves can be affected by the Veela. However, the Veela can control how far someone might be attracted to them. However, for people not under the Veela’s influence, then there is still the appreciation for the Veelas beauty.
- The more veela blood a wizard/witch has, the more control they have over this ability.
- There are different types of attraction, it doesn’t have to be romantic attraction. They can make someone be obsessed with them, be platonically attracted to them, or simply want to talk to them.
- While some people do view this as something similar as being under the influence as a love potion, a Veela cannot make someone fall in love with them. The desire to fall in love with them is possible. Physical attraction is possible. But they can’t force the person to fall in love with them. Their powers are simply to influence how a person views them. Nor can they override how a person might feel towards another person.
- Both dancing and singing can help strengthen this ‘bond’ between the Veela and the other person. Furthermore, when a Veela dances or sings, this can often cause a crowd to become entranced with them, though this wears off the moment they stop.
- They cannot have a strong influence on more than three people at the same time. After three, their influence tends to lose its strength.
- When a person is attracted to a veela, the Veelas words have a certain charm that can make people do their bidding, hypnotising them almost. This also depends on how attracted they are to the Veela. For those who aren’t attracted to the Veela, though, the words do have some small effect but to a considerably lesser degree. The non attracted person might simply feel inclined to follow through but still have the self control to turn the Veela down.
- The longer the Veela uses this ability, as this is something they can control as well, the more it tires them out. Furthermore, the more extreme the request, the harder it is to keep control over the person. To ask a husband who is madly in love with his wife to kill her would then make it easy for the husband to break free from the Veelas influence. In essence, if you request something that is extremely against a person’s nature then they have more of a chance to break free from the hypnosis. Another example, it is next to impossible for a non full blooded Veela to be able to convince a person to commit suicide or break a law.
- The less Veela blood, the less control they have over this ability and it can often be something they have to practise before they can use this ability at ease. In fact, this is often the first ability that is lost with each new generation.
- This can be used for good, though. For example, a Veelas words of comfort can cause a person’s mood too improve.
- Their words, or demands, are not iron proof. This ability is more so influencing the other person to be determined to make the Veela happy and give them what they want.
- Veelas, and their descendants, tend to have a short temper and can struggle to calm themselves down
- Veelas, and their descendants, tend to be very flirtatious, but more so for the control over others rather than being attracted to them themselves.
- Veelas, and their descendants, tend to not need to work on their appearance. For example, their hair is always healthy and never greasy or dry and their skin is free of blemishes.
- Veelas can tend to be incredibly vindictive and tends to be incredibly difficult to convince to not seek revenge for whatever reason.
- Veelas are often oriented towards animals, especially horses, and find it easier to befriend them.
- Veelas are not cruel, though, and can often be friendly and kind to the people around them, especially children.
- Veelas are a natural at both dancing and singing
See more here
Also known as a lycanthrope, these are humans who transform into a wolf every full moon. Though muggles can be made into a werewolf, they are more likelier to die from a werewolf bite whilst a wizard is more likely to survive and become a werewolf themselves. Werewolves have often been described as the pariah's of wizarding society and has had a difficult history in wizarding society.
- Werewolves in their human form have enhanced strength. For example, they can rip off a car door from the car with little to no effort. However, it is limited depending on the person. No werewolf is able to lift a house, for example, and struggle to lift a tree.
- Werewolves have a higher agility, even as a human, and can leap, climb and anything else at an incredible speed. This also extends to speed. Werewolves, in human form, can run at high speeds with little to no exhaustion. A werewolf can match the speed of a car going at 70 km/hr, though with practise, some werewolves can run faster.
- Werewolves are able to heal at a faster pace than a human, though this mostly relates to any blood wounds. A werewolf can heal rapidly even from the most grievous of wounds. However, if their spin or neck is broken, then this means they are dead. Furthermore, if their heart is stabbed then they cannot recover.
- When under threat, a werewolf can make their eyes ‘glow’ which enhances their other abilities. Essentially, it gives a wolf an adrenaline shot that allows them to push back at what is threatening them. This can only be done for a short amount of time before it drains them.
- A werewolf can transform into a wolf at any point in time, however they are forced to transform during a full moon. Under the influence of a full moon, they become uncontrollable and their memories of being a human are forgotten.
- When in wolf form, they are able to transform wizards and witches into werewolves through their bites. However, when in human form, their bites only cause lupine tendencies to manifest in the human.
- All werewolves have enhanced senses, such as sight and smell.
- All werewolves can sense the other direction of other animals in a moderate range around them. Furthermore, they instinctively know, regardless of whether they are in human or werewolf form, if the person they are talking to are either a werewolf or a vampire.
- Werewolves have high durability, meaning that they can take a lot of trauma before being weakened. Furthermore, they take longer to tire out than an average human.
- The presence of the moon enhances their ability, regardless of whether it is a full moon or not.
- Werewolves have an innate connection with other werewolves, regardless on whether the wolf is in their pack or not. Thus, they have an easier time in connecting and bonding with other werewolves.
- A werewolf tends to be stronger in a pack rather than being alone and are easier to be overpowered when alone.
- Werewolves have a temper and can tend to be incredibly aggressive. It takes a while for them to calm down once their temper has been triggered.
- Werewolves have a strong sense of duty and honour, especially to their family and other werewolves. Most tend to feel it is their duty to help another werewolf, especially a newly transformed one.
- Werewolves can only pass their lycanthropy through their bite, it doesn’t pass down through genes. Thus, no half werewolves are allowed.
- Due to century long rivalry, werewolves tend to not get along with vampires.
See more here.
- Sirens are described as the oldest known species of Merpeople
- This does confirm that they are a subspecies of Merpeople who have been known to show kindness to some humans
- If they are the oldest recorded, on the wiki we can say that they're the first or something of the like
- Sirens are the only species of Merpeople to be half-woman and half-fish
- Therefore they are the only ones able to conceive children
- They originate in Greece but can be found elsewhere
- Mostly wherever there's warmer waters but I wouldn't put it against there to be a couple of Siren colonies in the UK with artificially created warmer water lakes
- They speak Mermish which is a language that can be learnt by Wizardkind
- Said to sound like English underwater but screeching above
- Whilst Sirens are typically portrayed as female, up until about the fifth century BC, male sirens were prominent in art, but canon suggests that there are only female Sirens
- We could go with the mythology it is based upon and say there are full male Sirens alongside full female Sirens
- If we choose not to, the closest one could have to a male Siren would be a male half-Siren
- Male sirens are allowed.
Issues and Solutions
|How would a wizard and the Siren have intercourse?
||Fish do have something akin to the female reproductive system so conception is possible (if we allow male Sirens to be a thing then it might be harder as there is no male reproductive organ on a fish but there is a reproductive organ)
|The location of Sirens
||This'd mostly be down to the user to ensure that their character is born in a place with warm waters; unless we do say that the UK has a couple of artificially created warm water spots and has Siren colonies
|The pregnancy tenure
- Women take nine months
- Fish take typically ten days
- Perhaps a shortened tenure of about five/six/seven months for both a pregnant Siren and a potential pregnant witch?
|Merpeople are generally hostile to wizardkind
- Saying this, the Selkies (another sub-species of Merpeople) in the Black Lake seemed to be fine with wizards; they had a cordial relationship with Dumbledore and only threatened Harry when he tried to take a second loved one during the Second Task
- Historically Sirens have lured people to their deaths but the HP wiki says that HP!Canon Sirens are believed to have been the same as the mythological counterparts
- Could we therefore say that this was an exaggeration created by the Sirens themselves or wizardkind to ward muggles and other wizards away?
- As Sirens are, judging from their luring skills, flirtatious and alluring (probably designed to be a characterisation of lust itself) then it can be alluded that they were attracted to the father however this can get repetitive and I doubt loads of Sirens would do it
- As grim as it is, forcible sex methods could be used
- Make sure the conception takes place somewhere with warm waters; this is where Sirens reside
- Sirens are female
- Male Sirens were evident in Greek Mythology but disappeared from art / The Harry Potter wiki pretty much lists Sirens as females
- But there can be male half-Sirens, male quarter-Sirens and so on and so forth
- Given that there is evidence in Greek mythology that male sirens existed, the wiki has decided to allow male sirens, so just disregard this as there are full blooded male sirens in existence.
- As Sirens lured and continue to lure men in to kill them, there would need to be an explanation as to why the father was able to get close enough to bed the Siren
- As Sirens are, judging from their luring skills, flirtatious and alluring then it can be alluded that they were attracted to the father however this can get repetitive and I doubt loads of Sirens would do it
- As grim as it is, I could imagine forced conception to be a route more akin with the Sirens' temperaments
- BUT merpeople were seen to be trusting of some wizards and thus it could be a friendship or relationship that's been going on for a while
- Fish do have a reproductive system that does have some entrances so there is a place to, uh, stick it in
- It goes without saying that these conceptions would all occur under a one night stand
- Unless the father lives by the warm water in which the Siren resides, then a relationship could be permitted
- Whilst Sirens have the abdomen of women, fish do have extremely fast pregnancies and thus a Siren will only be pregnant for around five to six months
- A witch (impregnanted by a male siren) would experience an accelerated pregnancy in comparison to the usual tenure of nine months
- Half-Sirens are proficient at water spells
- This proficiency decreases the more diluted the Siren blood is
- Half-Sirens are proficient swimmers
- This proficiency decreases the more diluted the Siren blood is
- Half-Sirens can breathe underwater for extended periods of time
- This comes with practice so the dilution of the Siren blood would just make it harder for them to learn this skill
- As Sirens were once half-birds and the broom can be seen as emulating a fish tail, Half-Sirens have a natural affinity towards Quidditch
- Half-Sirens generally have an issue with earth-oriented spells
- The more diluted the blood is, the easier such spells become
- Herbology is a weak subject of Half-Sirens
- The more diluted the Siren blood is, the easier the subject becomes
- Half-Sirens have issues when it comes to public speaking as well as socialisation in general
- This is less so of an issue the more diluted the Siren blood is
- Half-Sirens tend to be exceptionally beautiful
- Half-Sirens also possess incredible singing voices
- Half-Sirens can breath underwater for extended periods of time and are proficient swimmers
- Half-Sirens can incredibly vain and narcissistic
For more information, go https://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Siren here.
Leprechauns are mischievous creatures, though they are not malicious, and are more known for being pranksters than anything else. They are native only to Ireland (both North Ireland and the Republic), thus any character must be Irish. Furthermore, only half leprechauns are allowed in the wiki.
- Shorter than the average human.
- Possess slight pointed ears.
- Only born to human mothers and leprechaun fathers.
- Naturally drawn to gold.
- Age slower than humans, usually appearing 10-15 years younger.
- Can summon leprechaun gold, which lasts up to one hour.
- Stronger than the average human of the same size.
- If they possess magic, they are slower to master it than the human wizard.
- Weakened when around large quantities of iron, or when injured by an object made of iron (eg. iron knife).
- Unable to resist pulling tricks and pranks, under most circumstances.
For more information, see here
Vampires are creatures of the living dead who are sustained through drinking blood of humans. Dhampir refers to offspring of vampires and a human (also wizards and witches).
- Vampires are immortal and do not age past the age they were turned into a vampire.
- Vampires have increased speed. It is said that they are the fastest humanoid creature in magical society.
- Vampires often have increased strength but this can also be dependent on how strong the vampire was before they were transformed.
- Vampires have the ability to transform into a bat at will.
- Vampires have the ability to transform into mist at will.
- Vampires have tough skin and it can be incredibly hard to penetrate their skin with a weapon.
- Thus, only a special type of stake that is imbued with magic that has often been utilised to kill a vampire.
- This stake has been outlawed and the magic used to make these stakes is considered dark magic.
- It is rumoured that the auror department has a small stock of these stakes in the case one is causing havoc.
- Vampires have heightened senses. For example:
- They can hear more from a greater distance with more clarity
- They can see further
- Their taste buds are very sensitive (a contributing reason to why they turn away from anything that’s not blood)
- Vampires have the ability to ‘stick’ to a surface and thus have the ability to scale walls and other types of structures.
- Vampires have increased stamina and do not need to sleep for an extended amount of time.
- Vampires have fangs that can be ‘sheathed’ into their gum at will
- A vampire’s bite can cause the person being bitten to enter a euphoric state. A person who is bitten both daily and consistently can often become addicted to the bite.
- Some vampires use this to their advantage and create ‘slaves’ but this practice has often been outlawed by different ministries, including the UK.
- Withdrawal can put an end to this.
- Please note from an OOC perspective: You need to have the other user’s permission with this power. NPC's are allowed but please note that this risks the vampire being arrested if caught.
- Vampires have the ability to sense other vampires and dhampirs instinctively when they are around them.
- Vampires burn under the sun and it is the easiest method of killing them. However, there is a spell that, if casted on an object (often jewelry), can protect the vampire.
- With practice, a vampire can gain the ability to consume things outside of blood. They will still need to consume blood to survive but they can enjoy other things, like alcohol
- Alcohol doesn’t affect them like non-vampires and it takes a considerable amount to cause the vampire to become drunk. Extremely high tolerance, enough that if a non-vampire consumed as much alcohol then they’d be in hospital twice over with alcohol poison.
- Vampires can survive off animal blood, however it makes them extremely weak and can cause them to fall into a comatose state if they survive off animal blood for too long.
- Garlic is often used to keep vampires at bay but, with practice, this can be overcome by a vampire. If consumed, it causes something akin to an allergic reaction and the vampire can feel as if they are standing directly under the sun. However, they can recover from it with the worst being that they pass out from pain
- They say there is a magical plant that is related to garlic that does have the power to kill a vampire. However, stories say that the plant has been hunted down and destroyed by vampires.
- Vampire wounds heal quite easily and quickly. A papercut would be gone in less than ten minutes but the deeper it is then the longer it takes.
- Similar to a bat, they also have regenerative qualities. However, the amount of body that they can regrow is limited. If they lose a hand, then it can grow back within an hour but it is near impossible to regrow an arm. It would at least take considerable time to do so.
- If they lose a sense (sight, hearing, taste etc), then over time it can heal. However, they are the most sensitive and it is extremely time consuming to recover from sensory damage. It once took a vampire two centuries to regrow their tongue after it was chopped off.
- The more nerves in that area, the more sensitive to damage it can become but can still regrow
- Vampires are able to withstand more damage than muggle, this includes magical based damage.
- This includes the killing curse.
- They can be injured from a spell but they can bounce back quicker from it. They are not necessarily immune from the effects of the spell, they can just heal on their own much quicker.
- The older the vampire, the better they can withstand a spell. A 3 year old vampire, for example, wouldn’t necessarily be affected by the ‘pullus’ spell and wouldn’t be turned into a chicken. However, the 3 year old vampire would be knocked out if hit by the killing spell. With practice, they can walk off the more severe spells.
- A vampire's brain limit is also heightened. They can retain a lot more in regards to memory and can think a lot quicker on their feet. Some say this is just something that has happened due to practice over the years. However, the way they need to comprehend what’s around them at a faster rate to make up for how fast they can move contradicts that theory.
- Vampires can go without needing to breathe for a long amount of time, thus they are able to swim underwater without needing to come up for hair. The longest record currently stands at fifty three minutes.
- Most dhampirs are created through a full vampire and either a muggle or a magical being conceiving a child
- It is possible to transform the person into a dhampir, though, if the ritual is interrupted half way through.
- The ritual:
- The victim is bitten and injected with venom (the vampire can inject venom at will). They are then forced to drink vampire blood. If they do not drink the blood then they are a dhampir.
- If a person drinks vampire blood without the venom then the person can have access to vampire abilities for a short amount of time, this is often done to heal wounds without the need for magic.
- A born dhampir can be made into a full blooded vampire. However, they are the opposite than a turned dhampir and would need to be injected with venom to be transformed since they already have vampire blood running through their veins.
- Dhampirs will have an extended life span than that of an average wizard and witch, however, they are not immortal like their full blooded brethren.
- Dhampirs have only around a third of the powers listed above (excluding immortality), thus six abilities in total. It is up to the user which of these powers that the dhampir has, but they must be listed in the sorting forum, even if they do not have access to the powers they have.
- Dhampirs can attend Hogwarts but full vampires cannot,
- Full blooded vampires can only be invited by the headmaster onto Hogwarts grounds, but the shrieking shack is said to be an exception to this border.
- The dhampir’s non vampire parent must be magical
- A wix turned vampire can have limited magical abilities but they cannot wield a wand. The most powerful spell they could continue to perform is the summoning charm. A muggle turned vampire has no control over any magic.
- There is no cure to vampire venom and if injected, the person will become a dhampir.
- Due to a long history of rivalry, vampires and werewolves tend to not get along. Arguably, this could be because of how long vampires have been around and it might be the older vampires stroking this rivalry.
Note: These are a suggestion and more so to be taken into consideration when making your character.
- Vampires tend to struggle with the concept of time as the years often blend into one
- Vampires can be found in covens but many can go for centuries without seeing those whom they consider family.
- They are a nomadic creature
- Some turned vampires retain all their traits from before they were turned, but there have been cases where they turn into an entirely new being after being turned
- There was once a doctor who became a serial killer after he was turned
- On the other hand, vampires can have traits that can be strengthened with the turn.
For more information, please go here
No Full Banshees are allowed.
- Screams can be used to communicate with other Banshees.
- Can sense death approaching those in a nearby area.
- Can hear the voices of those dead for up to an hour after death.
- When a nearby death occurs, they will scream involuntarily drowning out all sounds in the immediate area, draining them.
- They look gaunt and thin, as if near death.
- Subconsciously drawn to scenes where death has occurred or will occur in the near future.
For more information, go here
- In ancient times, there were tribes of nymphs whose blood was pure, void of human blood. Though they specialized in certain powers, being able to derive their magic from different sources in nature, they had power over all sources. However, after being hunted down by both muggle and wizarding kind, they withdrew from the world around them in order to protect themselves.
- Most gain their power from pockets of nature but due to the collapse of different ecosystems and the contribution of pollution, their power began to dwindle as these sources became damaged.
- The nymphs had their own pocket country with its own society separated from the world around them
- It is centred around the last source of pure nature that sources their magic. It is believed to be a waterfall.
- It is unknown exactly where this country is located, even to the nymphs outside of it. Not even the name of the country is known to anyone. Those who have been exiled have been sworn to secrecy. It is even believed they have their own form of magic that allowed them to remove this knowledge from their memory.
- Ancient type of magic that has kept everyone who aren't nymphs out. If you moved through the entry, you’d end up in the country on the other side of it.
- These nymphs have a tendency to be patronizing towards the outside world. They believe they're better than the outside world. They don't hate wizard kind or muggle kind, they just think they’ve been the leading cause of why their power dwindled. It’s meant that even now, it’s rare for an exiled nymph to have children with either.
- Due to the corruption of their power sources, it is only around this power source that they have access to all the powers but find themselves now having to specialise once they reach the age of ten. Consequently, they only have access to that power source.
- How? Nymphs have their own ritual that they perform which includes the nymph bathing in the power source under a full moon. Of course, this is shrouded from outside knowledge. Even the nymphs who went through this process are unsure of the exact details. They claim there is a group of priests within the country that oversee this ritual and know the secrets.
- They don’t choose which power source they draw from, but chosen for them. It often reflects who they are.
- If they don’t perform this ritual, they risk losing control over any sources of magic and become their version of a squib. These ‘squibs’ are often cast out into the world but their children don’t have any abilities.
- Why they are so closed off to the world:
- Some nymphs began to have families with both magical and muggle society.
- This caused the dilution of the blood.
- Realising the pureness of their magic was dying off, mixed with the realisation that their power was dying, the nymphs closed off their borders once more. They didn’t want to become weaker than their magical counterparts.
- There are some instances of pure nymphs being exiled from this pocket country and forced into the outside world. This means there are still half nymphs running around.
- As the exiled pure nymphs performed the ritual and specialised in one branch of magic, they found their descendents only having access to this power source as well. Unlike their ancestors, who were able to utilise all power sources growing up, they didn’t need too. This apparently also made the ritual redundant. Some continued to become squibs, but some did not and continued to have their powers growing up.
- You can have magical or nymph squibs. Really, there’s no difference but how they were raised. Essentially the nymph squibs grew up with power sources but found themselves without it once they reached eleven (twelve at the latest).
- You can have magical nymph squibs. This counts to your major character spot, not your minor spot. This can be beneficial for those who have children of nymphs but don’t have the space to rp them as a nymph.
- In conclusion: You do have the space to have a character with magical powers and no nymph powers and characters with no magical powers but have nymph powers.
- Their direct descendent only have access to one power set, but they also have access to the half nymph power set.
- This takes both of your nymph spots. If you want two nymphs, then they become descendents of nymphs. Half nymphs are only slightly more powerful.
- Having a half nymph does not take up two exotic spots, just both nymph spots
- Descendants of nymphs are far more common than half nymph. Half nymphs are typically born because the pure nymph got exiled from the pocket country and forced into the outside world. However, due to their nature, most don’t interact with wizard or muggle kind.
- It is only when half nymphs sleep with the magical kind does the child become magical and be able to use a wand. However, they often struggle to control their magic and their nymph powers come easier to them.
- If born too a muggle parent, then the nymph does not have the magical gene. The exception to this is that there is a squib somewhere in the family line that makes them a muggle born with nymph powers. If there isn’t a squib in the family line, then the nymph would simply just be a muggle with nymph abilities. They won’t have access too magic, hence they wouldn’t be able to use a wand. This means that a muggle nymph wouldn’t be able to go too Hogwarts.
- A nymph gene is less powerful the more it is diluted. The further back the nymph ancestor, the less likely it is to become activated. It becomes more likely to activate itself if it comes into contact with the magical gene. Thus, it is far more likely that you have wizards/witches/wix with nymph abilities rather than muggles with nymph abilities.
- As they have nymph abilities, they are allowed to reside in magical areas. Similar to a vampire.
For a full list of powers, please go here.
These two types of magic are interwoven with one another but have different purposes.
Legilimency is the power to enter someone's mind at will. Unlike clairvoyancy, though, a legilimen is more focussed on mind reading and are more powerful with their abilities. Their abilities are as follows:
- Lies and emotions
- Whilst a legilimen cannot instinctively detect if a person is having an emotion or are lying, they can figure this out if the person thinks that they are having that emotion or that they are lying. Furthermore, for lying, if the legilimen does have a suspicion that the other person is lying then they can dig further into the person's brain to find out the truth (which needs permission). However, this is not a legilimen detecting lies, but the person themselves detecting that the other is lying.
- Viewing memories
- Reading thoughts
- Planting visions:
- Images are the easiest to plant but fake memories can also be inserted.
- If the spell is used then these visions can last up too five minutes.
- For natural born legilimens, they will grow increasingly tired as they use this ability. This is the hardest ability for them to perform and requires intensive practise give people visions longer than a minute. The longest vision recorded that was performed was three minutes long.
- Furthermore, these visions tend to appear brighter than a normal memory or vision, as if it was under intensive light as it was happening. This is a method for people to figure out whether that vision or memory has been fabricated.
- Causing pain to the target by rooting around in their mind and/or bringing painful memories to the surface
- This is an ability that only taught legilimens can perform.
- If the legilimen does bring up a memory, then they experience the same emotions that the other character is suffering from. If it is a painful memory, then the legilimen feels pain. If it is a happy memory, the legilimen feels happiness. And so on. Initially, it's too a lesser degree than the other person but if this ability is continued for an extended amount of time, then the intensity of the emotion deepens. Furthermore, this still holds true if it is broken up for a period amount of time.
- It is up to the other user on how the character reacts to this experience.
There are two types of legilimens:
- Taught: The most common method of legilimens are those that are taught it. A wizard must use the incantation "Legilimens" to enter someone's mind. However, with enough practise, this can be done non verbally. This is a weaker method than those who are naturally born with the ability.
- Natural born: Though extremely rare, some wizards are born with the ability and are able to enter people's mind without the use of a wand or spell. Unlike the first type, though, they tend to struggle with controlling their powers and can often become overwhelmed. Similar to wandless magic, taught legilimency is more accurate and more controlled than natural legilimency. If a natural born dwells in someone's mind for too long then the person's thoughts and memories can become hazy, almost like radio static. This type is incredibly rare. If there are too many natural born legilimens, the admin team may place a temporary ban until the numbers lower.
In both methods, a legilimen has to make eye contact with the other person to enter their mind, which means they cannot enter more than one mind at a time, regardless of what type.
Especially for natural borns, characters with legilimency are highly monitored by the administration team to make sure that they are not overpowered or metagaming of any sort. If a member deems a response OP then you will be asked to modify it. If, afterwards, your responses and character are still deemed OP and you fail too comply then your character will be placed under lockdown for a set amount of time. After that, then you could be asked to resort the character without legilimency. This is handled by C&L and all concerns should be directed towards them. If a character has been deemed too OP by C&L but you wish to contest this, then it will be discussed by the entirety of the admin team.
Many people in the wizarding world view legilimency as an invasion of privacy and it is not a form of magic that is encouraged by either Hogwarts or the ministry. Hogwarts does not teach legilimency too students so if you wish your character to learn legilimency then they will need to find a realistic outside source too learn.
Please note that your legilimen can only read thoughts that has been written out by the other user in the roleplay. Anything more than that must have the explicit permission from the user. For example: if the user Jane Smith wrote in her response that her character John Smith was in love with Pocahontas then your legilimen would be able to know without needing permission. However, if your legilimen wanted to dig deeper into John Smith's mind to find out he had killed his brother then you would need Jane Smith's permission for this to happen.
This extend to all other powers of a legilimen. Your legilimen cannot give a character visions without the user's explicit permission, something you might need to provide evidence for if an Admin member asks for it.
Please note, that C&L requires you to tell us whether your character is a natural or taught legilimen in the forum under question five as well as in their history.
The opposite of this is occlumency. Occlumency is the taught ability of learning how to block a legilimen. It is a defensive type of magic that allows a magical user to build walls in order to prevent their mind from being read and delved into. An occlumen can also pick and choose what a legilimen can and cannot see. An occlumen can also resist the influence of the truth serum, known as Veritaserum.
See more on legilimency here. Though, please note it does not discuss natural legilimen. It might be useful to research the character Queenie Goldstein for further information.
See more on occlumency here
Parsel Tongue is the language of snakes. People with Parsel tongue are able to communicate and understand these animals and it is an exclusive hereditary ability. Most, if not all, Parsel Tongues originate from Salazar Slytherin.
When speaking parsel tongue, the speaker sounds as if they are hissing, similar to a snake, and cannot be comprehended by those around them. Without practise, a speaker has to have a snake or a painting or carving of a snake to trigger this language but with practise then they can eventually begin to speak it at will. However, speaking it at will is incredibly difficult to master.
For more information, please read this and this.
Being an animagus is a taught ability that is taught to students during their third year in transfiguration. What this power entails is the ability for a witch or wizard to be able to transform into an animal at will. They can only transform into one animal, though, and the animal, whilst an ooc decision, not an ic decision. The age requirement for any animagi are fourteen years old (not fourth year).
For pre-made characters, you have to roleplay the training to becoming an animagi which can be done in Hogwarts. This process is long and difficult and can result in disastrous results if done incorrectly. New characters can simply insert this into their history and can skip the actual roleplay. However, that only applies to six years and above and those who attended Uagadou. For those in their fourth or fifth year then they are required to roleplay the training. If you believe another exception could be made then please contact the head of C&L.
There are two variations of animagus:
- Normal animagi: The wizard/witch transforms into animals found in the muggle world
- Magical animagi: The wizard/witch transforms into animals found in the magical world.
For the latter, there are restrictions placed upon them. For example, there is a set list of which magical animal the character transform into and there can only be two active characters of each type at any given time. For example, there cannot be three animagi who can transform into a dragon.
All animagi are required to sign up to the registry organised by the ministry. However, there are some who opt out of this and risk the consequences. For those that do sign up, they are required to disclose what animal they are and what marks they have. If your character is caught, then the punishment is decided by the auror department but it is said you could face a sentence in Azkaban.
The animal that a person transforms into is determined by the wizard's personality. The animal is a mirror for who the character is as a person. If a sorter believes that the animal is too far-fetch when compared to the character's personality, they will ask for the animal to be changed. For example, a character would not transform into a dog if they are prone to betraying every person they meet as dogs are known for their loyalty.
For more information on amimagus, please go here.
For more information on magical animagus, please go here.
Clairvoyance, whilst not found in the JKR universe, are wizards who can perceive things, events in the future or anything beyond normal sensory contact. It is split into three categories:
- Clairaudience, which is the supposed faculty of perceiving, as if by hearing, what is inaudible. Key word: inaudible. Thoughts are inaudible. So, that part is just reading thoughts, in an unintentional way in the beginning. As if they all just... reach to you, until you're able to control what you want to hear, and what you don't want hear, but it takes hard work and focus to do this, so please be as realistic as possible.
- Clairsentience, or the ability to clearly feel energy. Emotions have energy, thoughts have energy, intentions have energy, pain carries with it an energy, etc. This is your ability to feel what normally isn't seen and put words and sensations to it.
- Claircognizance, which is a metaphysical sense where you know something to be correct but are unable to back up your statement with fact. It is, so to say, an intuition you get. As if to say... you feel as if a lamp will fall, and have a feeling of when it will, and how it will.
- Clairnatura, or the clairvoyants of the past. Requiring little to no effort, gifted witches and wizards are able to see glimpses of any object or person's past, given they are in direct contact with the thing or person in question. Clairnaturas' magic is very similar to that of seers', hence why there's been great contention in both fields regarding the most accurate categorical name under which to place this emerging field. However, because there are greater limitations to the power of clairnaturas (i.e. needing to be in direct, physical contact) than to the power of seers, governments, under the careful recommendations made by experts in the field, preliminarily placed it under clairvoyancy.
- a subcategory of clairvoyance in which the user is able to recall any information that's ever been physically recorded
- example: a clairnotitant pronounced (claer-no-tee-ahnt) could figure out how merlin died because it's been physically written down in a history of magic textbook, but had the knowledge not been, the clairnotitant would not have been able to recall it without research.
- clairnotitants are very limited in what they can do and recall. like stated earlier, clairnotitants can only access physical information, as in information that has been written down and is still intact. they cannot access the memories or thoughts of a person, and cannot retain the history of any given thing or being unless it has been physically written down.
Please note that your character can only specialize in one of these areas of clairvoyance and we ask that you clarify which of those categories your clairvoyant falls under in your forum clearly. This wiki does attempt to be realistic and make sure characters aren't OP, so only one type is allowed. Furthermore, especially with Clairaudience, the thoughts have to be roleplayed by the other person to be read in order to avoid metagaming.
Like legilimency, clairvoyance is also heavily monitored and you might be asked to modify your response if a member of the team finds your character too OP.
For more information please go here (ignore the first section of the blog).
Being a metamorphmagus is a hereditary condition that allows people to change their appearance at will without the help of polyjuice potion or any other type of magic. Unlike animagi, Metamorphmagus cannot take the form of animals and can only change their appearance to match a human, such as changing hair colour or changing their sex. This is not a trained ability and it is unlikely that your character receives any training for this.
See more here
Seers are people who have the ability to see into the future. They can predict prophecies, which is then recorded and stored in the Hall of Prophecy in the Ministry of Magic's Department of Mysteries. They have little control over this power and often the prophecies are given given without their consent. These prophecies, or visions, can come to them both consciously or subconsciously. In a dream, however, it is found to be more accurate and in detail than when they are awake.
They are highly proficient at divination, often without trying. Their interpretations are often more correct than their counterparts. After years of practise, a seer can try to control their powers. Such as being able to have a vision about a certain event. However, this requires a high amount of concentration. It is easier to predict smaller events than large events. For the latter, the visions become vague and could be interpreted in multiple ways.
Once a prophecy has been told to the world, then it is often highly impossible to change the prophecy that has been given.
For more information, please go here.