A. Please answer the following questions as elaborately as possible. (Remember, this part doesn't have to be filled out if it's an expansion character!)
1) What would you consider to be your character's strengths, and your character's weaknesses? Elaborate on your answer.
Strengths: His charm. He makes friends easily with everyone, and can draw people in. He can do this naturally, without mentioning his last name, or his parents money, which is something he's proud of-- it's what helps him to know that someday he can probably make it without his parents in the future.
Weakness: His aimlessness. He's a jack of all trades, and master of none. While he's naturally smart, he lacks a drive and motivation to do something with his intelligence. He wants to make it on his own... but at the end of the day, it's much easier to fall back on his parents money.
2) Has your character's life played out the way they wanted? Have they achieved the goals they set out for their life? Why, or why not?
Thus far, sure, what is there to complain about? He had money and friends and smarts in school-- who can complain about that? It's almost the unattainable ideal. Since graduating, though, he hasn't really led the life he wants to lead. He wants to be his own person, without relying on his family. And he hasn't figured out how to do that yet.
3) What's their ideal way of spending a free day? Why so?
He's still sort of the equivalent of a 20-year-old frat boy on the inside. An ideal day would be spent waking up late, with a large, luxurious brunch. He'd dink around, not doing much of anything, until the parties at night begin. He'd woo the ladies, (though never disrespect them... it's just the attention he likes), and drink his way to forgetting that he's kind of an aimless loser.
4) If your character could only keep 5 possessions, what would they be? Why?
- His wand (what's a wizard without that?)
- His owl. (He's had a few, and cares for them the best he can as he sees them both as useful, and a mate in a way.)
- His parents checkbook. (It's a tremendously difficult thing to give up, but ultimately right now, he would.)
- A Ravenclaw scarf. (He was always pretty big into House pride.)
- A Selwyn family ring. (Even though he doesn't care about the wizarding blood line thing.... he does find value in family loyalty.)
5) What one thing would your character change about the wizarding society? Why?
Less emphasis on bloodlines. He met plenty of Muggle-born kids at Hogwarts who were just as smart and savvy as he was. He doesn't mind the money that comes with his last name... but he doesn't think that it should earn him any special privileges. He feels that anyone with intelligence and drive (which he's aware he lacks) should have the right to "make it." It shouldn't be about who you're connected to.
1) Give a history of your character. History must be at least two paragraphs long. How did they grow up? Is there an incident that made them the way they are? etc. (Remember, history must at least be two paragraphs long for the first two characters, three paragraphs long for the third to eighth character, and four paragraphs long for the ninth to fifteenth character!)
Eric Lysander Selwyn was born March 17, 2012 to Demetrius and Isadora Selwyn. Being part of the Sacred Twenty-Eight families afforded Eric, and his siblings (an older brother, older sister, and younger brother), some unique privileges growing up. Eric never had to question the existence of magic in his lifetime. His first signs of magic occurred around the age of six, nothing notable, and nothing unexpected. He grew up in the life that a pure-blooded kid might expect-- learning fancy sports, learning what all those forks at the dinner table do, and in general learning to believe he was better than other families, simply because his father was a Selwyn (and it didn't hurt that his mother had been an Abbott).
When Eric was at school, he was sorted into Ravenclaw, for his quick wit and natural ability to learn. He picked things up quickly, and his wandwork was excellent. He didn't care to spend too much time with his nose in a book, like the rest of his classmates, but his grades came easy, and he never struggled too much in school.
While Eric himself never played Quidditch, he was often friends with those who did, and considered himself rather popular. He tried to convince himself that it wasn't because his family could afford to throw lavish parties over the summer for his friends... and that it was because of his personality, and ease with people. He wanted to believe that his friends were his friends because of who he was... not his last name. But it was a question that plagued him throughout his years at Hogwarts.
The one thing Eric never did figure out during his years at school was what he wanted to do after school. His parents would love nothing more than for him (and his siblings, who have thus far fallen in line) to come back and manage the family money, and participate in the lovely pure-blood lifestyle... but that's never been Eric's goal. Since he didn't have any other plans, and wanted to travel, he convinced his parents to pay for his ventures following graduation, feeding them the story that he was trying to see how far their name stretched, and come up with strategies to make it more well-known. He returned after almost two and a half years of travel with nothing more than a few half-baked ideas, and his parents predictable disapproval. While he hasn't been cut out of the family money, or disowned by any means, he's clearly on his way to becoming the black sheep of the family.
2) Give a description of your character's personality. Personality must be at least one paragraph long. Are you noble or sneaky? Arrogant or humble? (Remember, personality must be at least one paragraph long for the first two characters, two paragraphs long for the third to eighth characters, and three paragraphs long for the ninth to fifteenth!)
Eric's primary characteristic is his charm. He's a very personable guy, and he can become instant friends with everyone he meets. He's noticed that people quickly become comfortable around him, but he never uses this to his advantage-- if someone is in a sharing mood, he'll gladly listen and help however he can. He's not always super great with advice... but he does his best.
Growing up in a pure-blooded community, Eric learned a lot of old, traditional skills. He knows the basics of Occlumency... dancing, horseback riding, fencing... all the things you'd expect a rich kid to know... but Eric's never really cared about these things. Admittedly, being able to woo ladies with how light on his feet he can be was a perk, but Eric was more interested in socializing like the kids do-- with parties, booze and fun. He never played Quidditch at Hogwarts, but he learned how to party from those who did, and has the money to know how to throw lavish parties-- something he'll do gladly from time to time.
Despite the partying exterior... Eric is a good person, with a bit of an aimless streak, for right now. He got good grades in school, because he's naturally intelligent, but he lacked the drive of some of his other Ravenclaw peers. (Jack of all trades... master of none) He knows eventually he should find a career, but he's determined to do it separately from his parents money... he really wants to become his own person. He's just not all that sure how to go about it.
3) Are you Pure-Blood, Half-Blood or Muggle-Born? Do you have any notable magical relations? (Remember, you cannot be related to important Harry Potter characters!)
Pure-Blood, no notable relations, but he does come from one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight families, the Selwyn family.
4) Does your character have any special magical abilities? Or special abilities in general (photographic memory, etc.)? Is he or she of a different magical race, such as Veela, Vampire, Werewolf or the like? Part or half of that magical race counts! (Remember, you cannot have one as your first two characters!)
No. If you want the fact that he's related to the Selwyn family to be "exotic" I can sort of see where you're coming from, and I'm okay with that. But he doesn't have any "special" abilities.
5) What is your character's profession? Does your character plan to enroll your character into the Ministry of Magic? Does your character not work? Is your character a teacher?
Lol, he doesn't have a job. That's part of the problem. :P
6) Describe your character's marital status. Is your character single or married? What is the spouse's name? Any kids?
He's got an NPC girlfriend who he's been seeing for about six months.
7) What about your character's appearance? What do they look like? Feel free to write down what they look like! If you're using any FC, you can put a picture here! Please state the character's faceclaim!
B. Select the option that best fits your character. (Remember, this part is only optional, for regular adults and expansion characters alike!)
1) Which type of spell is most useful?
- A. A Complex Spell
- B. A Spell Of Control
- C. A Combat Spell
- D. A Healing Spell
2) What is most important to you?
- A. Grades.
- B. Getting your way.
- C. Life.
- D) Friends and family.
3) What would you do if a teacher caught you cheating?
- A. I'm the person people cheat off of.
- B. I wouldn't get caught; I'm too slick.
- C. I would deny the accusation until the teacher gives up.
- D. I would 'fess up, apologize, and accept the consequences.
4) Which trait is most valuable?
- A. Intelligence
- B. Cunningness
- C. Bravery
- D. Kindness
5) What's the best way to get things done?
- A. The right way, no matter how long it takes.
- B. Trick someone else into doing the work for you.
- C. Putting together a qualified team and completing the task efficiently.
- D. Get some friends together and lead them in the task.
C. These do not affect what house you're sorted to, but everybody must answer them!
1) Is this your first character?
- A. This is my first character.
- B. No, this is not my first character.
2) If your answer to the previous question is B, how many characters do you have? How many of them are "exotic" (of a different magical race/have a special ability)?
12, no exotics