A. Please answer the following questions as elaborately as possible. (Remember, this part doesn't have to be filled out if it's an expansion character!)
1) What would you consider to be your character's strengths, and your character's weaknesses? Elaborate on your answer.
Strengths: Humble, Self-Made Man, Believes in hard work
Weaknesses: A bit of a doormat when it comes to his wife. A bit blind to anything his family does, because he'll defend them under any circumstance. Humble (it's both a strength and a weakness, since he could assert himself a bit more with the Baudelaire family, but he doesn't like to boast).
2) Has your character's life played out the way they wanted? Have they achieved the goals they set out for their life? Why, or why not?
Thus far, arguably he has everything he could want. He has a beautiful wife, and family, and a job that he loves. If he could change anything, he'd bring his father back. It's a regret of his that his father never got to see his (Francois') success.
3) What's their ideal way of spending a free day? Why so?
After an excellent day at the WWN, coming home to make a quiet dinner for himself, surrounded by his family. Ideally... the Beaudelaires would keep their drama to a minimum that day so that he could spoil and pamper his girls, without having to get involved with Olympe's siblings.
4) If your character could only keep 5 possessions, what would they be? Why?
If you asked him, he'd say his wife and four daughters. But people aren't possessions. So...
- his wand
- his position at WWN
- a family photo of his mother and father and him
- a family photo of his family now
- his pots and pans (they're actually really nice, and he takes pride in using them).
5) What one thing would your character change about the wizarding society? Why? He'd encourage more people to become self-made. He's seen the values it's given him and the pride he's felt from being self-made, and would love to see others experience it.
1) Give a history of your character. History must be at least two paragraphs long. How did they grow up? Is there an incident that made them the way they are? etc. (Remember, history must at least be two paragraphs long for the first two characters, three paragraphs long for the third to eighth character, and four paragraphs long for the ninth to fifteenth character!)
Francois Mercier was born November 21, 1988 to Sarah and Adrien Mercier, an Englishwoman and a French Auror. When the Second Wizarding War broke out (Francois was merely 8), Adrien returned to join the English Ministry to put a stop to Voldemort, and gave his life in the process. Losing his father at the tender age of nine was a serious blow to the young boy. Sarah, not wanting to return to France, sent Francois to Hogwarts, just a year after the War had finished. Despite Francois' natural talent for Herbology, he was placed in Gryffindor. The loss of his father had made him... a tad rebellious, and questioning of the governmental systems in place. But he wasn't hard-hearted enough for Slytherin, so among the lions he spent his years at Hogwarts.
Shortly after graduating, he did a brief stint in Paris, wondering about his father's legacy. He joined up with the newspaper there, figuring that a reporter might gain access to things the general population wouldn't. He found he liked reporting, but missed England. Remembering how disastrous the Daily Prophet had been during the War of his childhood, he chose not to join up there, but started at the Wizarding Wireless Network, running his own news show. It became very apparent very quickly that he had serious talents in business, and Francois moved up the ranks of the network quickly, becoming an executive at just twenty-one-- something that he was aware his coworkers didn't care for. But he was determined to make a reputable name for the network.
Shortly after becoming an executive, the WWN started adding live talent to its shows. One such performer was Olympé Baudelaire. Francois was aware of the Baudelaire name, having been in the same year as Charlemagne. Olympé... she was stunning. And beautifully talented. Her name... was never part of the equation for him. He's not quite sure why she decided to take up with him, and even less sure why, when she was only nineteen (he was twenty-three), she agreed to marry him. He was so in love and so completely dumbstruck that it didn't even occur to him that Olympé's wish to keep her maiden name would be something to object to.
The family that followed is something Francois takes deep pride and joy in. Wanting to provide all he could for his girls, he learned to cook-- and became quite good at it. He pampers them perhaps more than he should. He tries to provide a good balance for his children-- they're growing up in the Baudelaire name, which he imagines can get quite overwhelming, especially when Olympé seems determined to make a "correct match" for them. Since Francois would never admit to being an equal match for his wife (and let's be honest, it's worked out for them), Francois remains his daughters' cheerleader for their own choices, and if need be, the shoulder to cry on when they feel lost in the family.
Francois became part of the board of directors at Olympé's request-- he had good business sense. He agreed, provided he could also remain an executive at WWN. The Baudelaire's flourished, continuing the business, with the late Gaspard's grandchildren even getting involved in the family business. All was well, until Charlemagne died. The news came as a shock to all, as he was not of ill health. A fishing trip to Weymouth, Dorset went south when allegedly, Charlemagne's boat capsized due to a freak wave and ill timing of the tide. The coronor's official cause of death was drowning, and that was that. Questions arose from the death - what was he doing away from the group? Why were there no witnesses? Was there any foul play? But the most important one remained unanswered: who will take over the company? Charlemagne died at the age of 45, so his will was incomplete. He had not named a successor yet, and it could have been anyone - from his siblings to his children to his siblings' children. The possibilities were endless, and the Baudelaire's now find themselves facing the biggest challenge: to remain united as a family as they choose a successor.
2) Give a description of your character's personality. Personality must be at least one paragraph long. Are you noble or sneaky? Arrogant or humble? (Remember, personality must be at least one paragraph long for the first two characters, two paragraphs long for the third to eighth characters, and three paragraphs long for the ninth to fifteenth!)
Francois is the definition of a self-made man. After his father's death at nine years old, he lived life with his mother, who worked around the clock to provide for him. He arguably should have been a Hufflepuff, but at the time of his sorting, he was so enraged by the government and determined to change the world that he wound up in Gryffindor. (He calmed down from all of that towards the end of his schooling.) But really, he's about as Hufflepuff-y as they come.
He believes strongly that hard work is the answer to everything, but that material pleasures shouldn't be flaunted; it's okay to have money, but don't shove it in everyone's face. Despite being a executive producer at WWN, his coworkers would tell you that he runs everything there with quiet, humble strength. He believes everyone has a role, and that if everyone is playing theirs, it will all work out.
He loves his family more than anything, and would die for all of them. Under most circumstances, he would argue that his family is a greater accomplishment than anything he's achieved with the WWN. It doesn't bother him that Olympé chose to give the girls her surname-- he'd do anything to make her happy. (And honestly, after they get married, they can choose to do what they want with their surname anyway.)
3) Are you Pure-Blood, Half-Blood or Muggle-Born? Do you have any notable magical relations? (Remember, you cannot be related to important Harry Potter characters!)
4) Does your character have any special magical abilities? Or special abilities in general (photographic memory, etc.)? Is he or she of a different magical race, such as Veela, Vampire, Werewolf or the like? Part or half of that magical race counts! (Remember, you cannot have one as your first two characters!)
5) What is your character's profession? Does your character plan to enroll your character into the Ministry of Magic? Does your character not work? Is your character a teacher?
WWN Executive, Board of Directors of Baudelaire Corporations
6) Describe your character's marital status. Is your character single or married? What is the spouse's name? Any kids?
Married, four children
7) What about your character's appearance? What do they look like? Feel free to write down what they look like! If you're using any FC, you can put a picture here! Please state the character's faceclaim!
B. Select the option that best fits your character. (Remember, this part is only optional, for regular adults and expansion characters alike!)
1) Which type of spell is most useful?
- A. A Complex Spell
- B. A Spell Of Control
- C. A Combat Spell
- D. A Healing Spell
2) What is most important to you?
- A. Grades.
- B. Getting your way.
- C. Life.
- D) Friends and family.
3) What would you do if a teacher caught you cheating?
- A. I'm the person people cheat off of.
- B. I wouldn't get caught; I'm too slick.
- C. I would deny the accusation until the teacher gives up.
- D. I would 'fess up, apologize, and accept the consequences.
4) Which trait is most valuable?
- A. Intelligence
- B. Cunningness
- C. Bravery
- D. Kindness
5) What's the best way to get things done?
- A. The right way, no matter how long it takes.
- B. Trick someone else into doing the work for you.
- C. Putting together a qualified team and completing the task efficiently.
- D. Get some friends together and lead them in the task.
C. These do not affect what house you're sorted to, but everybody must answer them!
1) Is this your first character?
- A. This is my first character.
- B. No, this is not my first character.
2) If your answer to the previous question is B, how many characters do you have? How many of them are "exotic" (of a different magical race/have a special ability)?
14, one expansion (if that still counts? Putting it here anyway), no exotics (unless Faith counts with her Legilimency/Occlumency abilities??)