1) Give a description of your character's personality. It must be at least two paragraphs long, seven sentences each.
Once - similar to the sheep that she can turn into - Mercedes was someone who didn't want people knowing her name. She tried to hide in other's shadows and blend in to her surroundings. She hoped to be unnoticed. She followed all the rules someone laid out, and never dare to see the punishment of noting following these rules. She was scared. Raised to be scared... scared of her own father, that is. She was scared of everyone else that wasn't Valencia or her mother, too. She didn't trust a single soul. That Mercedes was very different to the one now. Although her animagus could never change, her patronus did. A leopard. Fierce. If they wanted to stand out, they would. Pursuing into a career of fashion, her clothing also showed who Mercedes now is. Bold, colorful, and a showing of her able to take risks. She doesn't want to be hidden in someone's shadow now, and, for someone who may have met her recently, it can be hard to even imagine that was her some years ago. It's almost laughable.
First impressions are everything, and Mercedes knows that. She always makes sure to be kind to whoever she meets and finds it easier making friends doing so. Over the years, she's become more extroverted and growing like into talking or befriending people much more often. Walls that she had once built up tall through years of fear and distrust finally began to break down slowly but steadily. She found herself being the one to go up to someone first at times. Her smiles when talking to people became more genuine. Though, she still does have days where she just wants to lock herself up into her room and not to see another human's face ever again. Though, really everyone has those days if someone were to think about it. Mercedes's become the type of person that someone may call to go out and get a drink with or to help give advice when someone might not know what to do. She likes it much better before. Not having to feel like someone wasn't trustworthy all the time.
2) Write about the history of your character. How did they grow up? Is there an incident that made them the way they are? It must be at least three paragraphs long, seven sentences each.
Brujería, also known as the Spanish word for witchcraft, originally emerged as one of many Latin spiritual practices across a dispora of land but was unique for its religiosity and spiritual materialism and remained primarily in Puerto Rico for decades. Unlike many other practices, Brujería was not based on any sort of hierarchy or commumity and did not stray from being independant and was believed that it could not enforced on a community or following due to the spontaneousness of the spirits. To anyone outside of the practice, Brujería was considered a manifestation of evil and were also thought to be shapeshifters with the ability to take the form of an animal and prey on innocent victims. Many sources depict bruja and brujo's as factors that believe in light and dark and can be known to use their powers for good or evil. Local folklore warned people to shut their windows at night as disappearing children were claimed to be the work of a bruja and patients who couldn't be cured through medicine were victims of curses and hexes.
Luis Villaverde originally hailed from Spain but moved to Puerto Rico with his family when he was just a mere boy and despite not being raised into Brujería, his family bloodline was full of magic and well-known as a noble house. He picked up Brujería practices and culture in his teens but never seemed to dabble in the light side of the magic and chose for a far darker path. Over time, he manipulated and amassed a large following under his tightly ran ship and the local folklore turned their attention his way; he became the one to fear and one would lock windows at night to protect their children if they were wise. When rumors began to surface of twisted malpractice of Luis' Brujería cult, the magical community begun to fear Luis and eventually joined him so they didn't recieve any reprecussions for their outward rejection and disobediance. He used terror to reign over his newly shaped cult and was eventually dubbed "The Grim Reaper" for his tendancies to perform and enforce sacrifical magic, dark arts, mass animagusy, voodoo and necromancy. If it was bad or powerful, you bet that Luis was trying to implement it into his mass following.
Ximena Castillo didn't seem to view Luis as a dictator or even as a crazed cult leader and was blinded by his charm and never ending parade of compliments and gifts. Easily swayed since a child, Ximena was chosen and groomed in her early teens to become the future wife and bearer of Luis' children and really didn't have much say in the arranged marriage. In one breath, she would marry a noble and rise through the ranks of the cult. In another, she was shipped over from Spain and left in Puerto Rico with a complete stranger and something deep within her screamed for her to run. With about five years of age difference, Ximena became the perfect little wife who could be enforced to do whatever Luis Villaverde bidded and when she turned nineteen, they wed in front of the entire Brujería cult before shifting into their animagus form with the rest of the followers; starting a new marriage tradition. Later that night after the celebrations and eventual shift back to human form, they concieved their first child and heir, Mercedes Castillo-Villaverde. Ximena fell in love with her almost instantly while Luis remained cold and detached and seemingly unconcerned.
Over the next five years of their marriage, Luis started to grow both verbally and physically abusive toward Ximena and eventually isolated her from the entire Brujería following while their young daughter was left in the care of old women who picked a prodded at Mercedes a little too much. In truth, their second and last child was concieved under a breech of willingness on Ximena's part and that was the start of a very terrifying nine months. There were moments where Ximena was scared that Luis would cause her to lose their child but by the grace of the spirits, she managed to bring her healthy baby girl to full term. Unlike her first pregnancy, Ximena was not allowed to name their second child and Luis called the little girl Mariposa Castillo-Villaverde after delusions of spirits suggesting she would bring forth a new era of magic and power despite their already existing heir; Luis often claimed of seeing visions of an older Mariposa surrounded by butterflies in a meadow. While Ximena restlessly relented against Luis' influence, she really had no power left in the world to look out for her children while they remained in Puerto Rico. Sadly it took ten years of abuse and oppression for Ximena to realize that this what not a life she wanted for her children. Her first real red flag was the moment Mercedes showed her first signs of magic at the age of nine - it being a beautiful display of it, having made flowers grow all around her into a large, colorful garden - and was thrown head first into complicated animagus lessons. They even started enforcing her to be groomed in the dark arts. The second red flag was when Mariposa's magic showed at age eight and she failed to excel in her animagus studies - Luis had punished the young girl severely for not following with tradition of Bruja and Brujo's becoming animagi.
By the time Mercedes was fifteen, she was successfully turning into her animagus form whenever she wanted to. A sheep. At the time, it fit her quite nicely. Someone who wanted to blend in. Someone who was easy to follow someone's orders. Easily scared of anything. She was scared of her own father. Yet, it was nothing compared to Mariposa's abuse. Unsuccessful in her animagus studies, Luis was the most abusive towards her. And their mother. It was around the time that Mercedes was fifteen and Mariposa was ten when Ximena had gotten sick of it. Sick of the abuse and Luis and Spain. The three girls fled to Northern Ireland where they would stay and find themselves much happier than they ever were. Each of them had dropped the Villaverde part of their surname, and Mariposa even changed her name altogether to Valencia. The only trace of the cult that remained for Mercedes was her animagus, and it would be a while before she felt truly comfortable to even change into it again.
Ximena homeschooled Mercedes for her last few years during when other kids her age went off to school, the nearest one being Hogwarts. Once she was seventeen and didn't need to be homeschooled by her mother anymore, she started working in her mother's Italian restaurant that she had bought when it was only a rundown bar and had changed it entirely. She was happy working at the restaurant, spending time with her mother and sister, Valencia often taking gigs and singing for the place. Yet, it was when she was nineteen that she decided to pursue something that had become a huge part of her after leaving the cult. Fashion. So, she did, and was more successful than she could ever imagine. She designed clothing lines that were the complete opposite to her when she was a child. Bold, colorful, and eye-catching. She grew a small level of fame through her work, and her name would became more known through the fashion world all the way up to when she was twenty-three and decided to settle down a bit. Take a small break from her current job, but still work with fashion at the same time. A boutique or similar, perhaps.
3) Write about your character's appearance. What do they look like? Are you planning on using a certain model for your character? If you already have a picture in mind, you can put it here!
4) Is your character a Pure-Blood, Half-Blood or Muggle-Born? Do you have any notable magical relations? (Remember, you cannot be related to important characters from the Harry Potter Universe!)
5) Does your character have any special magical abilities? Or special abilities in general (photographic memory, etc.)? Is he or she of a different magical race, such as Veela, Vampire, Werewolf or the like? Part or half of that magical race counts! (Remember, you cannot have a character with special abilities/of a different magical race as one of your first two characters!)
6) What is your character's profession? Does your character plan to enroll your character into the Ministry of Magic? Does your character not work? Is your character a teacher?
Probably in some fashion boutique or similar to design
A. Select the option that best fits your character. (Remember, this part is optional for adult characters!)
1. What are you looking forward to learning at Hogwarts the most?
- A. Transfiguration
- B. Hexes & Jinxes
- C. Magical Creatures
- D. The castle's secret areas
2. Pick one:
- A. Moon
- B. Stars
3. If flowers adapted their scent to attract the unwary, what would it smell of in order to lure you in?
- A. Freshly baked bread
- B. Parchment
- C. The Sea
- D. A crackling log fire
4. Pick one:
- A. Dawn
- B. Dusk
5. Four boxes are placed before you. Which one do you open?
- A. The ornate one, promising secret knowledge and unbearable temptation
- B. The small, pewter box that reads "I only open for the worthy"
- C. The gleaming black box marked with Merlin's rune
- D. The small, tortoiseshell box, embellished in gold, with a small, squeaking creature
6. Pick one:
- A. White
- B. Black
7. What road tempts you the most?
- A. The cobbled street lined with ancient buildings
- B. The narrow, dark, lantern-lit alley
- C. The twisting, leaf-strewn path through woods
- D. The wide, sunny, grassy lane
8. Pick one:
- A. Forest
- B. River
9. What scares you most?
- A. Speaking in such a silly voice, people will laugh at you and mock you
- B. An eye at the keyhole of the dark, windowless room where you're locked
- C. Standing on top of something high, without anything to stop you from falling
- D. Waking up and realizing your family & friends don't know you
10. It's late, you're walking alone, and hear a peculiar cry you believe has a magical source. What do you do?
- A. Draw your wand & search for the source
- B. Proceed with caution, keep a hand on the concealed wand, and keep an eye out
- C. Draw your wand & stand your ground
- D. Wait for developments, while mentally reviewing the most appropriate spells
B. Whilst the first two questions will not affect the character's house (and are mandatory), the others are designed specifically to help users come up with their character's ideal job (and are optional).
1) Is this your first character?
- A. This is my first character.
:B. No, this is not my first character.
2) If your answer to the previous question is B, how many characters do you have? How many of them are "exotic"?
3) What would people who know your character well say they're really good at?
4) What do they really want to avoid in their job/career? Do they hate working in an office? Do they hate the field?
5) Aside from family and peers, what motivates your character the most in life? What drives their passion?
6) Where does your character's weaknesses lie?
7) Wand cores and woods speak volumes about a person's character. What is your character's wand? Why does it answer to them?