1) Give a description of your character's personality. It must be at least two paragraphs long, seven sentences each.
Merlin Graves, in the professional world, is known for his perfectionist, and somewhat sadistic personality. He harshly criticizes those who do not meet his standards, yet is otherwise quite charming when he wants to be. When he enters a brewing room, or a kitchen, he is all business. He is competitive by nature and stops at nothing to reach success. Some may view him as arrogant or mean, but is actually quite confidence and brutally honest.
Outside of his professional life, he can be mellow and caring, driven to help people improve and become better. He shows far more restraint, empathy, and is more considerate and sensitive towards children, than adults who "should know better". He can be enthusiastic and excitable, and is very good at getting what he wants out of situations, especially when it comes to trying to find, inspire and nurture new talents.
2) Write about the history of your character. How did they grow up? Is there an incident that made them the way they are? It must be at least three paragraphs long, seven sentences each.
Merlin Graves was born in 1997 to two half-bloods, Joseph Graves and Marlee Graves, in Ireland. He lived in a small community where wizards and muggles interacted with each other, freely. He was constantly surrounded by a strange mix of technology and magic, cooking being one of the things his parents combined freely. This later leads to his passion of cooking and food, as well as the application of potions. His first act of magic was at a fairly young age; when he was five, he transformed the color of his vegetables to various rainbow colors from green. At the age of 11, he was accepted into Hogwarts, and was sorted into Slytherin for his ambitiousness and strong leadership.
He was rather apathetic to the classes, and magic in general, except for potions, where he paid close attention to, and researched on his own time. He received additional lessons after class from his potion professor, and by the time he was in his seventh year, he was easily the best potioneer in the school. However, during summer breaks, he worked in various kitchens as a kitchen porter, assisting in basic food preparation and cleaning. This experience further fueled his desire to becomes the best of the (at the bare minimum, of which he did not settle for)culinary world, and later the potion brewing niches.
When he graduated Hogwarts, he went to a formal culinary school, and joined a restaurant as a line cook. He was pushed by the executive chef and owner of the restaurant, and worked his way up to Sous Chef, before leaving that restaurant to start his own, Linwood, offering a fresh and creative twist to British comfort food, in a warm, contemporary atmosphere. Merlin eventually decided to open his own potion brewery, where he sells ready-to-use potions of all kinds. He also offers private brewing classes, and has written multiple books on both cooking and potions. Since 2028, he has continued to support his restaurant and potion businesses, and considers them to be his children.
3) Write about your character's appearance. What do they look like? Are you planning on using a certain model for your character? If you already have a picture in mind, you can put it here!
Merlin is a tall man, fairly athletic. He often has a greying stubble, and glasses, which hide his normally piercing green eyes. He is balding at the top, but pays no mind. He often wears suits when he is not in the kitchen, otherwise, he wears his black chef's jacket and black pants.
4) Is your character a Pure-Blood, Half-Blood or Muggle-Born? Do you have any notable magical relations? (Remember, you cannot be related to important characters from the Harry Potter Universe!)
5) Does your character have any special magical abilities? Or special abilities in general (photographic memory, etc.)? Is he or she of a different magical race, such as Veela, Vampire, Werewolf or the like? Part or half of that magical race counts! (Remember, you cannot have a character with special abilities/of a different magical race as one of your first two characters!)
6) What is your character's profession? Does your character plan to enroll your character into the Ministry of Magic? Does your character not work? Is your character a teacher?
A. Select the option that best fits your character. (Remember, this part is optional for adult characters!)
1. What are you looking forward to learning at Hogwarts the most?
- A. Transfiguration
- B. Hexes & Jinxes
- C. Magical Creatures
- D. The castle's secret areas
2. Pick one:
- A. Moon
- B. Stars
3. If flowers adapted their scent to attract the unwary, what would it smell of in order to lure you in?
- A. Freshly baked bread
- B. Parchment
- C. The Sea
- D. A crackling log fire
4. Pick one:
- A. Dawn
- B. Dusk
5. Four boxes are placed before you. Which one do you open?
- A. The ornate one, promising secret knowledge and unbearable temptation
- B. The small, pewter box that reads "I only open for the worthy"
- C. The gleaming black box marked with Merlin's rune
- D. The small, tortoiseshell box, embellished in gold, with a small, squeaking creature
6. Pick one:
- A. White
- B. Black
7. What road tempts you the most?
- A. The cobbled street lined with ancient buildings
- B. The narrow, dark, lantern-lit alley
- C. The twisting, leaf-strewn path through woods
- D. The wide, sunny, grassy lane
8. Pick one:
- A. Forest
- B. River
9. What scares you most?
- A. Speaking in such a silly voice, people will laugh at you and mock you
- B. An eye at the keyhole of the dark, windowless room where you're locked
- C. Standing on top of something high, without anything to stop you from falling
- D. Waking up and realizing your family & friends don't know you
10. It's late, you're walking alone, and hear a peculiar cry you believe has a magical source. What do you do?
- A. Draw your wand & search for the source
- B. Proceed with caution, keep a hand on the concealed wand, and keep an eye out
- C. Draw your wand & stand your ground
- D. Wait for developments, while mentally reviewing the most appropriate spells
B. Whilst the first two questions will not affect the character's house (and are mandatory), the others are designed specifically to help users come up with their character's ideal job (and are optional).
1) Is this your first character?
- A. This is my first character.
- B. No, this is not my first character.
2) If your answer to the previous question is B, how many characters do you have? How many of them are "exotic"? One. None.
3) What would people who know your character well say they're really good at?
4) What do they really want to avoid in their job/career? Do they hate working in an office? Do they hate the field?
5) Aside from family and peers, what motivates your character the most in life? What drives their passion?
6) Where does your character's weaknesses lie?
7) Wand cores and woods speak volumes about a person's character. What is your character's wand? Why does it answer to them?
To fit with the length requirement for histories, could you add just a bit more to the first and second paragraph of his history?