A. Please answer the following questions as elaborately as possible. (Remember, this part doesn't have to be filled out if it's an expansion character!)
1) What would you consider to be your character's strengths, and your character's weaknesses? Elaborate on your answer.
Strengths: she's charismatic, reliable and curious. Weaknesses: she's a perfectionist, she can be manipulative and she's overly competitive.
2) Has your character's life played out the way they wanted? Have they achieved the goals they set out for their life? Why, or why not?
So far, her life's going well. She's managed to marry her crush from school, her career's going well, and she hasn't been disowned yet. All in all, it's a win.
3) What's their ideal way of spending a free day? Why so?
Probably just a day at home with Jon, having a movie marathon in their pyjamas, complete with ice cream and doritos.
4) If your character could only keep 5 possessions, what would they be? Why?
Her wand: obvious reasons. It's kind of necessary. Family ring: everyone in her family has one of these seal rings - it just connects her to them. Old quaffle: she was a chaser at school, and she's also shamelessly sentimental. Picture of herself and Jon: again, obvious reasons. Jon is pretty much her entire world at this point. Lipstick: if you think she'll be caught dead without lipstick on you're wrong.
5) What one thing would your character change about the wizarding society? Why?
The attitudes of some wizards towards 'creatures' and 'half-breeds' is really not conducive to a good society. The laws against werewolves and against goblins, for example. They just serve to alienate those subgroups of society.
1) Give a history of your character. History must be at least two paragraphs long. How did they grow up? Is there an incident that made them the way they are? etc. (Remember, history must at least be two paragraphs long for the first two characters, three paragraphs long for the third to eighth character, and four paragraphs long for the ninth to fifteenth character!)
The Nazyalensky family have always been affluent in wizarding Russia. Perhaps it's their endlessly pure blood, or their extensive connections, or just their general cut-throat approach to every endeavour, but their name carries weight. It's no surprise that the family has produced (or married) multiple Presidents of Magic over the years, or the many successful business empires they've spawned. Politics and power is in their blood.
There's one slightly odd trait to the Nazyalensky family: they show muggles the same disdain as any other self-respecting pureblood family, yet they generally accept any kind of creatures, be they veela or vampire or even werewolf. It's a widely-accepted family story that Ivan Nikolaevich, the original patriarch, was in love with a veela, though there's some argument about whether he actually married her or not. To the current Nazyalenskys it doesn't particularly matter. They don't see creature marriages as diluting the blood - as long as the magic remains.
Zoya Mikhailovna Nazyalenskaya is the youngest daughter of Mikhail Ivanovich, the latest patriarch of the family. She was the result of a drunken encounter of his with an air nymph in Budapest - don't ask, it's not important - and was left unceremoniously on the doorstep of the family's 6-bedroom dacha outside Saint Petersburg with a note explaining her origins to the inhabitants. Needless to say, Mikhail's wife Yekaterina Ilyinichna was not pleased, though she took the baby in immediately. Mikhail was sent to stay with friends in the same night, and not permitted to return for a month.
Zoya was raised like any other child in her family, with Yekaterina claiming to be her mother for her entire childhood. Her two older half-siblings, Ivan and Aleksandr, were too young to remember her arrival so nobody ever questioned whether little Zoyushka was really part of the family. Her first sign of magic came early, at the age of five, and was in fact her nymph inheritance manifesting when she levitated her brother's toy car because he wouldn't let her play, but this was brushed off as normal magic.
Growing up in upper-class pureblood circles, Zoya was bound to have a little bit of a superiority complex when she started school - at Hogwarts, because her family believed Beauxbatons weak, Durmstrang coarse and Koldovstorets downright pathetic. Sorted immediately into ____, she quickly acquired a circle of devoted followers and became her year's resident Queen Bee, even becoming a star chaser for her house team in her second year - it's the air nymph in her.
Hogwarts was boring, honestly. The classes were easy (she'd had a private tutor since she was born, and the actual practical spellwork wasn't too hard to master) and the people dull. Until she met Jon Bostwick, that was. Two years older than her, she'd admired him aesthetically since the first time she saw him when she was eleven in the corridor on her way to charms. Yes, she knows. Zoya Nazyalenskaya, pureblood Quidditch star, had a puppy crush on the halfblood Hufflepuff son of a businessman? Better believe it.
Fifth year came around and Zoya was made prefect, which she totally did not apply for just so she could spend the train journeys in the prefect carriage with Jon Bostwick because her crush on him had abruptly ended the year before, when he decided that a good way to approach her would be to say "I'd whomp your willow" and then flee. The onslaught of pick-up lines continued well into her fifth year, when she finally gave in and accepted his offer of a date. Entirely because she wanted him to shut up, of course, not because she actually reciprocated his feelings. Of course not. That's exactly why she accepted when he asked her to be his girlfriend on their fourth date.
Jon graduated at the end of that year, but they continued to see each other when they both had time. The next two years, honestly, were a blur of studying, exams, prefect duties and dates. Zoya made Quidditch Captain in sixth year, then gave it up to be Head Girl in seventh. Her NEWT results were just as exemplar as her OWLs, and she was quite happy being the model daughter at home. Until she turned seventeen and her mother told her of her actual parentage, at which point she returned to Hogwarts and refused to come home after her seventh year ended.
Instead of going back to Russia, Zoya moved in with Jon and got a job at the Daily Prophet, reporting on the affluent pureblood families and general ministry politics. Jon was an auror, and on their joint salary they managed to carve out a very comfortable life for themselves even without using their inheritances. Until, that was, Jon was put into a coma for six days after suffering the cruciatus curse and retired a few months later from the auror force. At this point Zoya actively began working her way up through the Prophet's ranks, determined that Jon wasn't going to be forced back into work because they needed the money. His PTSD was a big concern of hers, and she'd be damned if she let him push it to the side.
When Zoya was 26 Jon finally proposed, and they were married the next year. Recently they've welcomed his younger half-sister Bia into their home, and overall things are going about as well as can be expected in their lives.
2) Give a description of your character's personality. Personality must be at least one paragraph long. Are you noble or sneaky? Arrogant or humble? (Remember, personality must be at least one paragraph long for the first two characters, two paragraphs long for the third to eighth characters, and three paragraphs long for the ninth to fifteenth!)
Growing up, the most common word applied to Zoya was magnetic. She's always had a tendency to draw people to her like moths to a flame, and she's fairly certain this is mostly down to her upbringing. In her family, if you want to be shown any appreciation you have to be charismatic or just downright perfect - from a young age, Zoya aimed to be both. She's not bad at manipulating people to get what she wants (or politics, if we're using technical terms), and she certainly has a lot of practice.
Zoya has always been ambitious. A trait she inherited from her nymph mother was a tendency to daydream, and combined with her perfectionism this quickly became pure unadulterated ambition. She daydreams about a cute seventh year? She gets him. She imagines becoming the top reporter in England? She's going to make it happen. It's a big part of who she is, this determination to reach her goals, and it's spawned a kind of extreme competitiveness in her. Don't challenge her opinions - she'll rip you to shreds.
One thing Zoya excels at is reading people. She's difficult to lie to for one, and good at getting people to tell her things. Oh, and she's also slightly nosy, but not in a I-want-to-spread-gossip way. More of a I-want-to-know-everything way. She's difficult to get close to for many people (Jon says she's intimidating), but to those she does know well she's incredibly reliable. That's another Nazyalensky family trait: loyalty to family is well rewarded.
Finally, Zoya is hiding a huge nerd on the inside. She's just as enthusiastic as her husband when it comes to Star Wars, and she'll always appreciate a good pun (she secretly loves Jon's pick-up lines). For someone raised as pureblood elite, she definitely has an unusual appreciation for muggle pop culture.
3) Are you Pure-Blood, Half-Blood or Muggle-Born? Do you have any notable magical relations? (Remember, you cannot be related to important Harry Potter characters!)
4) Does your character have any special magical abilities? Or special abilities in general (photographic memory, etc.)? Is he or she of a different magical race, such as Veela, Vampire, Werewolf or the like? Part or half of that magical race counts! (Remember, you cannot have one as your first two characters!)
Half Air Nymph.
5) What is your character's profession? Does your character plan to enroll your character into the Ministry of Magic? Does your character not work? Is your character a teacher?
Reporter for the Daily Prophet.
6) Describe your character's marital status. Is your character single or married? What is the spouse's name? Any kids?
Married to Jon Bostwick
7) What about your character's appearance? What do they look like? Feel free to write down what they look like! If you're using any FC, you can put a picture here! Please state the character's faceclaim!
B. Select the option that best fits your character. (Remember, this part is only optional, for regular adults and expansion characters alike!)
1) Which type of spell is most useful?
- A. A Complex Spell
- B. A Spell Of Control
- C. A Combat Spell
- D. A Healing Spell
2) What is most important to you?
- A. Grades.
- B. Getting your way.
- C. Life.
- D) Friends and family.
3) What would you do if a teacher caught you cheating?
- A. I'm the person people cheat off of.
- B. I wouldn't get caught; I'm too slick.
- C. I would deny the accusation until the teacher gives up.
- D. I would 'fess up, apologize, and accept the consequences.
4) Which trait is most valuable?
- A. Intelligence
- B. Cunningness
- C. Bravery
- D. Kindness
5) What's the best way to get things done?
- A. The right way, no matter how long it takes.
- B. Trick someone else into doing the work for you.
- C. Putting together a qualified team and completing the task efficiently.
- D. Get some friends together and lead them in the task.
C. These do not affect what house you're sorted to, but everybody must answer them!
1) Is this your first character?
- A. This is my first character.
- B. No, this is not my first character.
2) If your answer to the previous question is B, how many characters do you have? How many of them are "exotic" (of a different magical race/have a special ability)?
7 characters, 2 exotic